Monday 31 May 2010

Headlamp Aim? More like where is it aiming!

Tina was MOT'd when I collected her, and I know there was an issue with the headlamp aim on the offside but assumed that it was fixed.

When I got her home, parked in front of the garage and put the lights on. Strangely the off side was high, then when I put the main beam on, what you'd normally expect is that the main beam is higher than the dip beam. On the offside, I had the main beam lower than the dip beam - something obviously wrong.

I took the sealed beam out and looked at the wiring........
Also found this handy link with the definition of the connectors on the sealed beam unit:
http://freespace.virgin.net/tommy.sandham/lampfittings.htm

I've reproduced the information here:




















I had according to the diagram:
1 = Blue/red
2 = Black
3 = Blue/White

or in other words:
The dip beam wire was connected to the main beam terminal
The main beam wire was connected to the earth terminal
The earth wire was connected to the dip beam terminal

No wonder it didn't work properly! In fact I'm surprised it worked at all.

Wait 'till I have a word with the seller, a bit of teasing is in order!



Please feel free to comment on my blog by clicking on the "comments" link below.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Brian. Is the position of the electrical connwctors in the headlamp plug the same for all manufacturers that use the same 3 pin plug as per your diagram

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brian. Is the position of the electrical connwctors in the headlamp plug the same for all manufacturers that use the same 3 pin plug as per your diagram

    ReplyDelete